Lot 371: Attributed to Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1792-1864) The
To be sold at our Fine Art & Antiques, Wine, Clothing & Textiles on 17th Mar 2016
Attributed to Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1792-1864) The Exeter Exchange, popularly known as Exeter Change, watercolour and body colour on paper, framed, mounted and glazed, initials 'HB' monogramed lower right, 23 x 33cm Engraved by T. Barber. Jones & Co. Temple of the Muses, Finsbury Square, London, Nov. 7, 1829. Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1792 - 1864) was a watercolor artist well known for his architectural works. Son of an architectural draughtsman, Shepherd was employed to illustrate architecture in London, and later Edinburgh, Bath and Bristol. His paintings were the basis for steel engravings in many books. The Exeter Exchange (popularly known as Exeter Change) was a building on the north side of the Strand in London, with an arcade extending partway across the carriageway. It is most famous for the menagerie that occupied its upper floors for over 50 years, from 1773 until it was demolished in 1829. Exeter Exchange was built in 1676, on the site of the demolished Exeter House (formerly Burghley House and Cecil House), London residence of the Earls of Exeter, almost opposite the Savoy. Around the same time, the nearby Burleigh Street and Exeter Street were laid out. The Exeter Exchange originally housed small shops (milliners, drapers, hosiers) on the ground floor, and rooms above which were let to the Land Bank. Over time, the traders on the ground floor were replaced by offices, and the upper rooms were used for storage. Exeter 'Change, when it arose on the ruins of Exeter House, was in no sense externally beautiful, being designed wholly and solely for business purposes. It consisted of three spacious floors, which contained apartments on each side fitted up as shops for milliners, sempstresses, hosiers, and has been from time to time the home of many interesting exhibitions. It became ''Pidcock's Exhibition of Wild Beasts,'' and as such it long continued a most popular place of resort, being constantly visited by ''country cousins.'' The beasts were in cages and dens up stairs, the tower 'part being made a thoroughfare lined with shops &t either side, like the Lowther and Burlington Arcades of our own day. In the early part of the present century the front of Exeter 'Change, projecting as it did over the pavement of the Strand, and daubed all over with pictures of monsters and wild beasts between its Corinthian pillars, must have presented a grotesque appearance - not easily to be forgotten by the ''country cousins'' who came in shoals to see it; and its attractions were heightened in the eyes of the children by Mr. Pidcock's sham Yeoman of the Guard, stationed outside (like the Beef-eaters at the Tower), to invite the passers-by to step in and see the lions, tigers, elephants, and monkeys. The greatness of the Exeter 'Change departed with Chunee; the animals were removed to the King's Mews, in 1828, and two years afterwards Exeter 'Change was entirely taken down. Previous to the opening of the Zoological Gardens in the Regent's Park, Exeter 'Change and the Tower were the only two places in the metropolis where wild beasts' could be seen alive, except in travelling menageries; and it was to those two places that ''country cousins'' were taken on their first arrival in London, so that to ''see the lions'' passed into a proverb.
Price Achieved: £Unsold
This lot was presented at at our Fine Art & Antiques, Wine, Clothing & Textiles on the 17th Mar 2016
Further Information about the sale:
Our catalogue is now online for our Fine Art and Antiques Sale to take place at Busby Salerooms on the 17th of March at 10:30am. We have over 500 lots including silver, jewellery, ceramics, clocks, furniture, paintings, drawings, Oriental Art, Vintage Clothing and Textiles to name but a few!